Monday, July 23, 2007

Bammers are funny

Here's a funny story for you. Im living and working in Charleston, SC this summer. Its a great place, very classy, dignified, and beautiful. I have very much enjoyed living here, although I miss Auburn and Im ready to be back for some Auburn football (its good for the soul).

Anyway, this past Friday evening at midnight, I was at Books-A-Million for the midnight release of the final Harry Potter book (laugh if you want). Keep in mind, that for the summer, I have briefly escaped all of the "Bama's Back", "Got Saban?", yatta yatta yatta running of mouths. In its stead, has been a small amount of educated and well informed discussion of South Carolina football(and Auburn football in return) and SEC football in general. I have run into a few Florida fans, and when they find out my allegiance to the greatest school of all time, they immediately spout out their supposed greatness. I of course reply with a deflating stab of "who beat Florida last year? without any offensive touchdowns? Oh yeah, that was Auburn." Some of them throw out the "oh we got screwed, that called fumble was crap..." but most of them just kinda crawl back into the fetal position and say "yeah yeah". But for the most part, every Carolina, Florda, and SEC fan here has been pleasant to discuss football with. Ive tried not to be rude to Carolina fans, giving them their due for playing us exceptionally hard last year, as I have no reason to be rude to them.

But back to the story: I was in line at the book store, and who should end up behind me, but a large man who over hears me saying I was from Alabama. He then proceeds to tell me and the young lady whom I was speaking to that there is nothing good to do in Alabama. I answer with a quick, "not where Im going back to, I love Auburn." He replies, saying that he is an Alabama fan. A mixture of resentment and nausea swept over me, as I knew what was coming. He asked me how he thought "that new coach" would do. I told him how that coach did, was not of any concern to me, or any Auburn fan. It only matters one day a year.

He also went on telling me of the various memorabilia and Bear Bryant paraphernalia he had in his place of living (which Im sure must've. been a double wide). After his ramblings, which I tried my best to tune out, I asked if he went to UAT (knowing good and well the answer and I didnt even have to ask) to which he responded with a No. I fought every urge to make a clever comment about sidewalk alumni and I even left out the fact that we have won 5 straight over Bammer. By this time, I had reached the counter, where I received my book. It just made me laugh, you can always count on the to find a way to slightly taint such a nice place. No matter where I go, and how the place Im in changes, Bammers are all the same.


** Disclaimer** I am fully aware that there are educated Bama fans who can actually have a well informed discussion of anything. This story is mainly to confirm that there are those stereotypical Bammers, and they are everywhere, in large quantities.

No comments: