Friday, November 03, 2006

Dear BCS (by Scott)

Dear BCS,

I don’t really know how to say this, but I think it’s time to call it quits. I don’t think I could get through this in person, so I hope you’ll accept this letter.

I know what you’re thinking: “We’ve been through some rough years, but we’ve always come out of it together.” That’s true, but I’ve never really forgiven you for 2004. I know it wasn’t easy for you either, but I was the one who really came out hurt when you took USC and Oklahoma to the big dance. To be honest, I have never forgiven you for that, and I can’t trust someone I don’t forgive, and I can’t be with someone I don’t trust.

Bowl Championship Series, every year you try to turn over a new leaf, and ever year you promise to change. Sure, you’re a little different than we when we first met; you’ll just never be the championship series I thought you could be. My expectations are too high. I promise it’s not you – it’s me.

I think you have done a great job this year, and there is nothing you could have done differently that would have changed my mind. I just know that the more I love you, the more I’m making myself vulnerable, and I don’t want to get hurt again.

Just so you don’t ask, there isn’t another national championship that I am seeing. I am not secretly dreaming of a big play-off to come and carry me off, and I don’t think any less of you for losing the AP poll. In fact, I think you’re better off without it. To be honest, I will admit that lately I have been having a lot fun with the SEC Championship. He doesn’t have a big head like you, and I just don’t feel jealous like I do around you. I know it isn’t fair of me to feel this way, but I have just always been jealous of your relationship with some of the so-called national powerhouses. Anyway, he sees teams for who they are.

Don’t be sad that I won’t be pining after you anymore. You’ll get through this just fine. There are thousands of better fans than me who will long after you better than I ever did. It’s not like you won’t see me again. Anytime you want to meet up in January, give me a call; I will be happy to go out with you, but just as friends.

With much regret,

Scott Looney

No comments: